2018-2019 Contest Information
HOM-SIGMAA is pleased to announce the 16th annual Student Paper Contest in the History of Mathematics!
Deadline for submissions is Saturday, 23 March, 2019.
The following flier has detailed information, and is suitable for either distributing to students or posting in your department. Download it here.
Please contact Amy Shell-Gellasch if you have any questions.
2017-2018 Contest Winners
All papers are also available at Convergence.
Contest winners receive a formal letter and certificate, a book, and a one-year student membership to the MAA and to the CSHPM/SCHPM.
- Callie Lane, University of Missouri - Kansas City, "Race to Refraction: The Repeated Discovery of Snell's Law" (faculty supervisor: Richard Delaware)
- Christen Peters, Lee University, "The Reality of the Complex: The Discovery and Development of Imaginary Numbers" (faculty supervisor: Laura Singletary)
- Rachel Talmadge, University of Missouri - Kansas City, "François Viète Uses Geometry to Solve Three Problems"
2016-2017 Contest Winners
All papers are available at Convergence.
- Amanda Akin, Lee University, “To Infinity and Beyond: A Historical Journey on Contemplating the Infinite” (faculty supervisor: Laura Singletary)
- Johann Gaebler, Harvard University, “Traditionalism: 1894 to 1925” (from his honors thesis, Large Cardinals and Projective Determinacy, faculty supervisor: W. Hugh Woodin)
- Nathan Otten, University of Missouri-Kansas City, “Huygens and The Value of all Chances in Games of Fortune” (faculty supervisor: Richard Delaware)