SIGMAA Officer Handbook
SIGMAA Annual Reports
SIGMAA Reminders & Responsibilities
| SIGMAA Reviews |
Beginning in 2013, SIGMAAs will be reviewed once every 4 years on a rotating basis. See the document below for more information about the review requirements and process. Please note that his is an outline only, and pieces of it may change in 2013. Check back here for current information. Treasurer.
- Click here to view an Outline of the SIGMAA Review Process.
| Annual Reports |
The deadline for submission of Annual Reports is March 1 of the following year. The purpose of this Annual Report is to collect information about the operation and activities of all the SIGMAAs (Special Interest Groups of the MAA) in an effort to establish a record for archival purposes. This information will be maintained by the MAA Department of Programs and Services and shared, in a variety of forms, with the SIGMAAs, with various MAA administrative units, and with the MAA general membership. This effort will enable the Department of Programs and Services, along with the MAA Committee on SIGMAAs, to better serve the needs of SIGMAAs and their members as well as provide SIGMAAs an opportunity to share best practices, new ideas, and concerns.
Please respond as completely as possible, keeping in mind the objectives of this form mentioned above. Simply type your responses in your SIGMAA's column in the Google document listed below. Access will be granted to the SIGMAA Secretary or Secretary-Treasurer.
- 2011 SIGMAA Annual Reports was due Thursday, March 1, 2012.
- 2012 SIGMAA Annual Reports are due Friday, March 1, 2013.
- Click here to view the SIGMAA Annual Reports.
- Send your SIGMAA Meeting Minutes to the Programs Department.
| Strategic Planning Work Group on SIGMAAs Updates |
The full SPWG (Strategic Planning Work Group on SIGMAAs) report is in the members-only portion of the web.
| Membership for SIGMAA Officers |
All SIGMAA Officers are required to have current membership with the Mathematical Assocaiton of America and the Special Interest Group they hold office. If you have any questions about an officer's membership status, please email Madeline Palmer.
| SIGMAA Budgets |
SIGMAAs are only to submit a budget request for the upcoming year if they are requesting to use some of their accumulative reserves.
If no budget requests are made, each SIGMAA will have it's re-occurring base budget put together in the MAA HQ Finance Office.
The template should be downloaded, completed, and returned to Sharon Tryon. Budgets requests submitted
after the deadline may not be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: As of this year (2012) no new money can be accrued, they can only use up to 50% of their (old) accrued balance, and after 2014, any remaining accrued balances will no longer be available.
- 2013 SIGMAA Budget Requests are due is April 1, 2012.
- Download SIGMAA Budget Request Template
| Annual SIGMAA Hard-copy Mailings |
SIGMAAs are no longer required, but strongly encouraged, to send an annual hard-copy mailing to all members. For SIGMAAs who wish to send hard-copy mail please note the following:
- In addition to highlighting your upcoming activities, we ask that you remind your members that most SIG communications are electronic, and request that they make sure they have supplied an accurate email address to the MAA.
- All mailings must include information on your officer election.
- Usage of the MAA logo should fall within the MAA branding standards.
- All copy must be edited by the SIGMAA newsletter editor, or other designated persons.
- The cost of doing such a mailing should be included in your budget request, as it will come out of the SIGMAA's budget.
- All SIGMAA mailings to its membership must be done through the MAA.
- Choose the most reasonable quote given for the job.
| Donations |
Unsolicitied donations can be made directly to the MAA, with the SIGMAA designated as the recipient. Solictied donations must first be cleared through Michael Pearson. Please see the PI manual for more details.
| Expense Reimbursements |
SIGMAA Election Procedures
The national office will administer all SIGMAA elections online each Fall.
Elections are to run during the months of October or November and end before the MAA winterbreak.
In order to properly administer this, the SIGMAA should follow
Changes to SIGMAA Charter
At any time, a SIGMAA may make changes to its charter. To properly make these changes, the following rules must be observed:
- Substantive changes must be sent to the Committe on SIGMAAs for approval before being voted on by the membership.
- Any changes made to bring a SIGMAA's charter inline with the MAA's model charter do not need to be voted on by the membership. Please note: this does not mean that the membership has to be excluded from such a vote, only that they aren't required.
- All changes need to be sent to the Committe on SIGMAAs, even after voting has occured. They will then forward the proposed changes on to the Executive Committee of the MAA for final approval.
SIGMAA Quarterly Reports
SIGMAAs are sent reports four times a year. These reports will contain:
- A financial spreadsheet, showing the revenues and expenses for the previous quarter, as well as YTD.
- A report containing information on the total number of members in all the SIGMAAs.
SIGMAA Deadlines Calendar
There are many deadlines that SIGMAA Officers need to be aware of including annual reports, budget requests and proposals for contributed paper sessions, minicourses, and MAA sessions.
For detailed information on submitting proposals to organize events at a Joint Mathematics Meeting or a MathFest, see http://www.maa.org/meetings/meetings.html or contact Gerard Venema at email@example.com.
All SIGMAA Officers are enrolled in the SIGMAA Officers listserv that is used to send out messages that pertain to SIGMAAs. To ensure that these messages are not blocked by spam filters, add the address firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book. All messages are archived online and can be accessed here: http://lists.maa.org/wws/arc/sigmaa-officers. Please note that you will need to log in to http://lists.maa.org to view the archives. If you have not done so before, use the First Log-in link in the upper right corner.
Awards and Prizes
Any award or prize that a SIGMAA wishes to administer and present is the sole responsibility of the SIGMAA. The description of the award, all criteria for the nomination and selection of the award, including how the selection committee is formed, should be posted on each individual SIGMAA’s website.