2012 QL in the Media Contest Rules
Once againin 2012, SIGMAA-QL is running a contest to find the best examples of the use and abuse of quantiative literacy in the media. All entries must by based on media published or disseminated no earlier than July 1, 2011. SIGMAA-QL will award prizes in the following categories.
- Best use of QL in written or spoken media
- Best use of QL in a graphic or video
- Best learning moment: a misuse, abuse, or misrepresentation of quantitative information in the media that is particularly instructive
- Best use of QL taken from the media in teaching: An assignment or classrom activity that employs quantitative information from the media particularly effectively
- The contestant's name and contact information
- A link or file of the media use of QL and/or the teaching materials.
- Suggested category of the entry.
- A brief description of why the entry is worthy of consideration.
QL in the Media Contest Entries
Today In Dishonest Fox News Charts
Category: Best learning moment
Link to Original: Deceptive Graph
Description: Media Matters tracked down this glaring error in a line plot of US unemployment apparently broadcast by Fox News. Tom Pfaff, the entrant, notes that even the corrected plot offered by Media Matters is suspect, since the scale on the vertical axis is still chosen to amplify relatively small changes.